The Oakland span of the Bay Bridge is about to be demolished and a piece of the Bay Area history will be gone forever. Bay Bridge House, a community supported project, plans to acquire pieces of the span to create a modern contemporary Eco friendly and self sustaining house and multi-use space.
BBH is holding a design competition between students in school for Design and Architecture to come up with the most unique design of the “Bay Bridge House”.
The project plans to build one of the most advanced eco sustainable houses to date, using recycled pieces of the bridge as the structure of the building. We are looking for creative out of the box designs that preserves the historic look and some design elements of the Bridge. Concrete, steel and glass, we do not intend to use any wood and plaster as a building material. The designs must utilize as much of the old bay bridge in the design as possible. This includes trusses, steel I-beams, steel girders, steel plates, wires, gates, fencing, ladders, walkways, concrete, and any other parts associated with the bridge. The location of the house will have a view of the New Bay Bridge.
The old span of the bridge is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places, we will file for Historic Land Mark status for the structure once it is built. We will also file for LEED certification, please design accordingly.
Visual aids will be provided to help with your designs upon registration. We have large close up images of sections of the bridge for you to download. More information about the project and design inspirations can be found at our site http://BayBridgeHouse.org.
– Eligibility: Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate Architect students.
– Registration: 1 Sep. – 13 Oct. 2013 ( Closed )
– Submission deadline: 20 Oct. 2013, 5:00pm PST ( Closed )
– Announcement of winner: 30 Oct. 2013 ( Closed ) – The Winners
– Minimum submission: 2 panels in A1 size
– Full color detailed sketches to full renders
– File format & size: *.pdf, *.jpg. *.png
– Submission methods: via email (supplemented with appropriate file transfer service for large files).
– Should enter a title, participant’s name, university name in the submission email.
– Do not put your name on the art work.
– Email address: DesignContest@BayBridgeHouse.org
– All submissions will receive an email acceptance response.
– A Very Special trophy.
– Internship on the Bay Bridge House project.
– Work in conjunction with leading Bay Area Architect firm.
– Your name on the plaque on the Bay Bridge House as the design contest winner and listed as one of the Architects.
– Your name listed in publications and articles regarding the design of the Bay Bridge House.
– Potential to have your name on a LEED Certified and Historic Landmark building.
– 33% from the Board Members of Bay Bridge House.
– 33% from members of NeighborLand.com.
– 33% from industry experts:
Ronald Rael – Associate Professor of Architecture, UC Berkeley, Principal @ Rael San Fratello Architects
Daniel Krivens – LEED AP and Senior Designer @ NicholsBooth
Donald MacDonald – FAIA Building Architect – Co-Architect to the new Oakland Bay Bridge
– Email – DesignContest@BayBridgeHouse.org
– Tel. +415.310.7295
1. We reserve the right to use all submitted art work can be used on the Bay Bridge House website and publications regarding the project.
2. All works submitted to other competitions or plagiarized are eliminated from judging. Even if such works wins the prize may be revoked later.
3. Submissions that do not comply with competition rules or formats will be disqualified.
4. Bridge House reserves the right to use all submitted designs entries on it’s website, in literature and articles related to BBH.
5. If Bay Bridge House cannot acquire the pieces needed to build the BBH, BBH reserves the right to award a cash prize.